Skip to main content

Happiest Country in the World!

Do you know that Bangladesh is the happiest nation in the world? This is an old news for those who already know but it should be a shocking news for those who did not know! The happiness survey was done by London School of Economics. Mr. Richard Layard, the Co-Director of the Center for Economic Performance at the London School of Economics did this research titled 'Happiness: Lessons from a New Science'. The book was published by the Penguine Press in 2005.

The study revealed that people in Bangladesh, one of the poorest countries in the world, derive far more happiness from their small incomes than many other rich countries like USA(46th on in list) and Britain(32nd in the list).

This completely proves that people of Bangladesh has defeated poverty with their natural sense of joy and happiness! Earlier studies revealed that money is important for being happy. But this particular survey proved it wrong. Infact, the Bangladeshi people proved it wrong.

Bangladesh is one of the poorest countries in the world with per capita income of $250. Population and poverty are the major two problems of this country. And there are lot other problems like natural disasters, less educational facilities and so on. But still, you will find people here who smilingly doing all his/her works only with a income of less than a dollar per day. People here are interested in every thing. They are very curious when any major incident takes place. They like to talk with each other, discuss things which they are merely connected to. A common habit of Bangladeshi people is gossiping. You will find tea stalls in each and every corner of Bangladesh and you will see a lot of people are taking tea there and gossping happily hours after hours. Even the owner of tea stall joins the gossip in most of the cases. Another thing that I must mention about the people of my country is their hospitality. If you ever come to Bangladesh you will discover it yourself!

Wait a minute... Do you think I consider my country a poor one even though having all these happy people around me? Definitely No. We are not poor. They are poor who can not smile even they have a lot of property, a lot of money. They are poor who can't be happy with a little, with others' happiness. Harry Kemp said it right!:

'The poor man is not he who is without a cent, but he who is without a dream'


Let's check out some of the happy faces of Bangladesh:

An expression of pure happiness!

Happy little kids!
Look...! This guys does not earn more than $2/day...! But his smile is worthy of a billion!
Pure mother's love... They are suffering from poverty.... But it could not destroy their inner happiness!
A general face of Bangladesh.... A happy face indeed!
Some labors... working for infinite hours... Can't even manage two meals a day... But still... They are happier than millions of billionaires!
So real! So pure! So sweet!!!

Happy little kids... Their parents could not even manage a proper dress for them.... But !!!

Long live Bangladesh! Long live our happiness!

[Photos are taken arbitrarily from various sources. I must mention again that the survey was published in 2005. I'm not concerned about other surveys taken later]

Comments

  1. Your blog is wonderful.

    It is a good thing to be happy.

    Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wealth often causes a person to be overly self focused. They often become people who spend much money and effort striving after pleasure. Pleasure is an empty hole and at the bottom is hopelessness. On the outside of that hole is selflessness, serving, putting others above oneself - there one finds contentment. Happiness is a byproduct of a life well lived. Wealthy people who serve others are often very happy people. There is a strange phenomena in the US - the poor give much more than the wealthy. There is my 2 cents - HA!
    Great Post – Great Pictures! Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i already new that but glad you are aware as well from bradford england and stugod ok take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Riyadh,

    This post made me smile. :)

    It is a fact that money cannot buy inner happiness, I have only found out that Bangladesh was the Happiest Country based on the Survey of 2005, I'm sure it still is :)

    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Renee: Thank you so much Renee... It means a lot to me. :)

    @Grayquill: You have described and connected the things so well. And thanks for the piece of info!

    @Stugod: Thanks for stopping by!

    @Written: Feeling proud that I could make someone happy through my blog!
    Not in the survey may be.. but in reality.... Happiness still lies well inside the heart of Bangladeshi people!
    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was the most beautiful post. Looking at these faces can change the way we think about everything. It is about dreams. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When i entered this blog, i was in a bad mood for some reason. but after reading this post my heart has felt with happiness.

    No, i didnt know that my country is the happiest country of the world. I am glad to learn it.

    the pics are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Secret, fragile skies:. You definitely caught what I wanted to say. Thanks for stopping by. :)

    @Irtiza: Wow.....! It is definitely making me happier!! Yes.. Our country is the happiest nation in the world according to a survey of 2005. & Photo credit goes to the photographers definitely!
    Thanks for stopping by bro.
    Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. honestly im happy to see that love for our beloved country u have showed by your posts & pics are amazing as usual.wonderful post.proud to be Bangladeshi cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Alvi: We are a proud nation buddy! We have such a great history... such a respectable birth! Thanks for stopping by dude. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bangladesh is full of dilemmas. Its capital Dhaka is the worst city in Asia, but it is a very beautiful country. It is one of the poorest AND happiest country. It is very corrupt but the people are very hospitable. People like to gossip with each other but democracy does not do well here. It is very homogeneous nation but full of diverse type of people!!!

    That is why I love my country so so much. Bangladesh is in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Ashik: So true buddy... You have defined it just right. Thanks for your thoughtful comment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I already knew about this fact, i loved the way you put it forward.
    Totally agree with the fact "Money Cant Buy Happiness",
    Jar Ache onek Taka- Tar Ache Osonkho Chinta... ar ei churi howar chinta oke khushi hoite day na...
    Apnar ei post porte -porte amar chokh ojantei bhije gelo... ar mukhe ekta hashi ene dilo :-)
    আমার ইচ্ছা আছে বাংলাদেশ আসার- আমার মায়ের দেশ...
    জয় বাংলা!

    ReplyDelete
  14. চলে আশেন ভাই... দেখে যান দেশটাকে :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I only recently heard about Bangladesh being the happiest country in the world MashAllah. Now Im passionately looking for bangladeshi sisters to befriend with so that their simple and happy lives can rub off on me. Pls help me find bangladeshi friends, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16.  Hey Nora... Thanks for stopping by. I would like to help you to get Bangladeshi friends. Just keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

টং দোকান (Tong Dokan)

Since I moved here in Canada, I have been missing so many things... My family, my friends, that easy life where my parents used to take care of everything, those endless hangouts and so many other things... I even miss those things which I used to hate back in my country... like load shedding, traffic jams and so on... But I am not gonna write about these things... Today I will babble a bit about 'Tong Dokan'. I know those who don't know Bengali, don't have any idea what I am talking about... But don't worry... I will write a whole post about it now.. I am gonna tell about how this is related to my life, how this is related to every person in Bangladesh..
--------

A busy highway. There is a lot of noise. Loud horns from different type of vehicles. Apart from cars and buses, a lot of Rickshaws are moving slowly in the road. Some passers-by are anxiously looking left and right to cross the road. There are some banks and departmental stores beside the highway. A lot of …

Heroin: The Deadly Addiction

“People believe that heroin is super, but you lose everything: job, parents, friends, confidence, your home. Lying and stealing become a habit. You no longer respect anyone or anything.”- Pete

"Heroin", one of the deadliest drugs of this world. According to BBC, there are 50 million regular users of heroin, cocaine and synthetic drugs worldwide. In most cases, these 50 million users didn't even realize when they became addicted. They started taking it as fun, as experiment, as accompanying someone who was already addicted.
Let's hear it from the voice of some people who eventually got addicted to heroin. For privacy issue, names or any kind of IDs of those people are not disclosed here.
Story 1:
"Was already mentally addicted to oxy, with the beginning point of some mild physical addiction symptoms. Oxy was expensive though, and my tolerance was going up. One day I was with my friend (who has become the biggest heroin user I know fwiw) and we were getting some …

What Color Is My Parachute?

Inspired by the 'Self Inventory' chapter of 'What Color Is Your Parachute?' by Richard N. Bolles, last night I started drawing my thoughts on paper. I wanted to identify my real passion. It turned out to be something else though. Something more important. It gave me a picture of how my life has changed over the last two decades. 

I explored my memory - as far as I could. I tried to think what I used to do when I was in primary school (Grade 1 to 5). Then what happened in high school (Grade 6 to 10), how things changed in college (Grade 11-12), during my Bachelors and Masters, and what impact did 'moving to Canada' have on me. Then the obvious ones - how my life has changed with marriage and parenthood.


Though I was not surprised to look at the outcome, I must admit - I was not very conscious about all the changes that happened over time. Over the last 10 years or so, the changes have been dramatic. I have achieved some important characteristics, but probably a…